Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finally realizing the amazingness of libraries

I feel pretty ashamed of myself. I'm 21 and until recently had never checked out a library book. Which isn't a big deal to a normal person but I consider myself a reader. Looking at my bookshelf makes me feel so bad, mainly for my parents. They've spent a ton of money buying me books. Lynne Ewing alone has claimed $200 for the 13 Daughters of the Moon, 4 Sons of the Dark, and 3 Sisters of Isis books. To make matters worst I saw that they're publishing the Daughters of the Moon books in volumes. 3 books for $10 and on Amazon the first volume is $4.... AHH!

It wouldn't be so bad if the books were actually good. But if you've read a YA book lately 90% are horrible. Plus everyone has to stretch their book super thin to make a series. The last book I remember buying is Firelight. It was just... horrendous! It was essentially everything that could be wrong with a YA book rolled into one. Luckily I won Wither so I didn't have to pay for that total waste of time. I think that's when I decided no more wasting money on books that turn out terrible. Oh and not to trust anyone's reviews! Both of those books had 4.5 out of 5 stars and a ton a people raving about how great they were.

I decided to try to find a library on base. I found out about the Joint Base Pearl Harbor - Hickam library. I got my friend to come along to check it out. After dealing with Hickam's really weird roads, getting super jealous of all their trees, and turning down the wrong road with no sign we found it. It was definitely tiny. I was able to find one book I'd been wanting to read for a while and grabbed another book on a whim.




Matched - This is the book I've been wanting to read. I'm glad I found it at the library because if I bought this book I'd be mad. I'm struggling but I'm 2/3 through. If it wasn't for my need to finish everything I'd have stop reading by page 100. It annoys the crap out of me and seems like I'm rolling my eyes every other page. But I must finish!

Unearthly - This is the book I just picked up. It was the best book I've read in years! I didn't even know what it was about but recognized the cover. Reading the description it sounds like every other YA book turned out these days. But Unearthly is different. It has a HEALTHY relationship and a main character who's not a whiny baby! I was dreading the ending to see if the author would make her choose the wrong guy. I was not disappointed. Figures that I end up buying the crappy books and would have missed out on this one.


I'm glad I'm finally realizing the amazingness of libraries. I love that you check out the books for 3 weeks and can renew them twice online. I won't be spending so much money on terrible books anymore, yay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment